I am a local artist-entrepreneur looking to develop my sunscreen and hair care products. I am a 2017 Washington University Grad looking for a chemist that has experience with the beauty products industry to assist me as a consultant. This position is for someone who embraces creativity and the DYI spirit. This position is a part-time passion project, and the ideal candidate understands that my project is in its beginning stage. The candidate would be compensated for their time or expertise and connections. If interested in learning more, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Advises me and helps develop new sunscreen or reliable beauty products and duplicates competitive products to meet or exceed customer or company specifications.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Interpret project briefs, descriptions and requests, and develop chemical components and formula combinations to meet or exceed targets.
- Meet with suppliers as the technical expert for product information, collecting the newest developments, and formulating appropriate applications.
- Modify, substitute, and reformulate materials to meet the highest level of customer expectations and quality while achieving formulation cost targets.
- Evaluate alternate chemical suppliers.
- Troubleshoot formula issues related to manufacturing/compounding.
- Communicate effectively with others.
Additional Expectation: Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in research and development of personal care.
- Make decisions autonomously on complex projects.
- Apply technical expertise and knowledge base gained from prior experience to generate new ideas that lead to innovative and proprietary materials and products.
- Formulation experience working in the relevant category(s), such as hair care, hair styling, hair color for a minimum of 3 years.
- Must be able to lead and understand the big picture and in-depth technical details related to program responsibilities.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- B.S. degree in Chemistry, Biology or other physical science.
- Comprehensive knowledge of laboratory procedures, testing instrumentation, and experimental design and controls.
Preferred Knowledge, Certifications, Skills, Abilities
- Advanced analytical skills – Excel, statistics and DOE
- Specific training or experience in OSHA regulations and laboratory safety.
- Oral and written communication skills should be at advanced levels.
- Comprehensive knowledge of product development process (3+ yrs experience in a product development environment).